Sports, Events and Adventure Race Photography -
Working with Open Adventure, adidas TERREX, Lakeland Trails, British Cycling, The National Trust and other events around the UK and abroad, James can provide you with excellent photography of your event!
Having started out photographing from trail quests, he now also works on events, including adventure races with competitors numbering 50-500, and trail runs with over 3400.
Able to work in most weather and light conditions that the British weather can throw at him, James is hardy so even if it's raining he will get great results for you.
- Event photography is planned in advance you that you can be assured James is prepared to be in the right places and times for the best photograph opportunities.
- Your photography can be delivered to you how ever you would like in the more efficient way possible.
- James uses professional Canon camera and lenses, and an Apple computer for very fast post retouching and enhancement in Lightroom.
- He has both public liability and indemnity insurance.
What you'll get when you choose James to photograph your event:
- Colours: When James is am outdoors he will be in control of the cameras white balance, delivering more consistency and vibrant photographs.
- Consistency: Every photograph James takes is consistent with the next and last, so there's no photographs darker or lighter that what they should be.
- Expertise: Having taken time learning how the camera works James uses it manually so it's perfectly set up.
- Accurate: James aims to deliver to you over 95% of the photographs he takes while out on your event.
- Speed: You'll get your photographs processed within 24 hours and to you either online the next day or to you within a few days.
- Creative: James will go to interesting lengths to get exciting angles for more interesting photographs.
- Endurance: James keeps fit by running, biking, swimming and walking. He understands about navigation and usually cover's big distances on longer events. On the events where he is in one position he can take on more than 3400 people conformably.
- Weather: Having photographed in most weather conditions, James is prepared for almost any weather! (event what the OMM can throw at him)
Get an complete photographic record of your event!
Choosing this package you can get photographs from your event showing it off to a whole from start to finish! He can ride around on his mountain bike or walk around choosing beautiful and interesting locations. No messing around, no laziness, all very well prepared for an adventure! However you prefer to post the photographs he can help you with his graphical skills, for example posting to facebook with watermarks.
Everyone can have stunning photograph of themselves!
Choosing this package you can get photographs of everyone from the most amazing locations on your event. Depending on numbers there are several options to choose from so people can view/buy them. James usually mountain bikes or walks to these locations, he's there with plenty of time to spare. With this package you can optionally get photos from around the start/finish once James has got everyone.
Contact James for pricing and more information. Book now to ensure your event is covered!
Great Photos as ever Mr Kirby ... Looks like a fantastic day was had :-)
You've managed to capture the event exactly. Tough, muddy, fun and beautiful location.
Great pics making me wish I'd been able to be there...
Open5 Pentland Hills - Comments from facebook
Comments from runners on the Cancer Care Cross Bay Challenge:
• Just had a look at the images from the Cross bay Challenge. Fantastic pictures. Love the one of me and would like to buy it.
• Thought the photos on the cross bay website from this year were excellent and the best sporting event photos I have seen.
• Hi James, really impressed with the xbay challenge photos!
• Great pix James!
• Fab pics.
• Brilliant - makes it look so much more fun than it actually was!!!
• Love the pics
• Fantastic pics James thank you.
• great pics! really nice shots.
• Brilliant pictures of a brilliant day - Thank you James!
• great race, cant wait to see all the pics
• Fantastic shot!
• What a cracking photo that is. :))
If you want amazing photographs that capture the essence of your event then James is your man. He goes beyond what most will do; come rain or shine James will be there and do an amazing job. I cannot rate James's commitment and fantastic eye highly enough.
Sam Mayne from Tri-Adventure
I was asked to write a review of the newly opened Bog lane trail by The National Park. As a disabled rider, I could offer a unique perspective on the trail, which was aimed with the family and disabled riders in the mind. Joining me on my first outing was adventure sports photographer James Kirby, blessed by a brief respite from the rain made for some fantastic photographs, James managed to capture the essence of the brief and now we have a extremely professional portfolio. His experience in capturing the moment in sport really shines through. Thank you so much.
James, a massive thank you for taking the time to attend our charity event. Your photographs really captured the moment. As well as enabling the participants to gain a memento from the event we now have images for promotional materials. We really appreciated you giving up your Easter Saturday for us
Jen Horsburgh, Fundraising Co-ordinator from CancerCare
To find a photographer who is passionate about the adventure sports and yet has the skill to put on to a photo the energy, passion and drive of the competitors is something held only by only a few. It's a real privilege to have James' camera out our events capturing the atmosphere of the day - the resource he has given us to develop images for the web site, promotional material, banners, as well providing a record of the day for the competitors. The photos say more than this paragraph.
James Thurlow, Event Director at Open Adventure
James, just a simple thank you for the stunning photos you took at last weekend’s Ullswater trail races. You seem to have caught everyone in at least a reasonable “pose”! Also, it’s good to see some of the scenery and miscellaneous images that you captured. Life is a series of experiences to enjoy, but it’s also enjoyable to be able to have memories to keep. Thank you again, your work is much appreciated.
thgirB nhoJ, Runner from Ullswater Trails 2008
Above are only a few testimonials, read more.
- Great Trail Challenge, Keswick - June 9th 2013
- Trail Plus, Grizedale - March 23rd 2013
- Born Survivor Photoshoot - March 17th 2013
- Lucy Harris Photoshoot - Jan 13th 2013
- adidas TERREX KMF Trail Run - 17th November 2012
- Born Survivor Photoshoot - 10th November 2012
- OMM - 28-29th October 2012
- Jennings Rivers Ride - 16th September 2012
- Corporate Challange - 12-13th September 2012
- Cross Bay Challenge - 12th August 2012
- Total Warrior - 4/5th August 2012
- Total-Adventure - Alder Hey - Coniston Challenge - July 14th 2012
- Tri-Adventure Challenge - 17th June 2012
- Grizedale Black Route Opening - 30th March 2012
- Great Grizedale Trail - 25th March 2012
- Accelerate AR Q&A - 9th February 2012
- Jennings Rivers Ride - 18th September 2011
- Bike the Bay - 23rd April 2011
- Deerstalker - 19th March 2011
- Freemont Adventure Challenge - 25th September 2010
- Trail Plus, Grizedale - 21st March 2010
- Whinlatter Off Road Duathlon, Keswick - 15th November 2009
- Epic Trailquests, Staveley - 4th October 2009
MyTriEvents: (formerly MyTriClub)
- MyTriEvents, Capenwray Triathlon - June 12th 2013
- MyTriEvents, Stig Photoshoot - June 11th 2013
- MyTriEvents, Capenwray Swimming - May 22nd 2013
- MyTriEvents, Kendal Triathlon - April 28th 2013
Grasmere Gallop: National Trust
- Grasmere Gallop - 8th June 2013
- Grasmere Gallop - 9th June 2012
- Grasmere Gallop - 12th June 2011
GODZone Adventure (New Zealand):
- Chapter 1 - 7-14th April 2012
- adidas TERREX Stirling - 18th to 25th August 2012
- adidas TERREX Swift - June 4-5th 2012
- adidas TERREX at MontRoc - 28th April 2012
- adidas TERREX C2C 2011 - 26-29th August 2011
- adidas TERREX Lakes 2010 - 27-30th August 2010
- Adidas/Open Adventure Photo shoot - 11th November 2009
- Adidas/Open Adventure Photo shoot - 17th October 2009
- Open 2 Day, Lakes - June 1-2nd 2013
- Overground Trail Race - May 26th 2013
- Open Cycling - 30th June 2012
- Two Day - 28-29th April 2012
- Open C2C AR - 28-31st August 2009
- Open5 - Shropshire Hills - 5th May 2013
- Open5 - Yorkshire Dales - 3rd March 2013
- Open5 - Mendips - 3rd February 2013
- Open5 - North York Moors - 6th January 2013
- Open5 - South Downs - 2nd December 2012
- Open5 - Pentland Hills - 4th November 2012
- Open5 - Dovedale - 3rd March 2012
- Open5 - Dorking - 3rd March 2012
- Open5 - Warcop - 5th February 2012
- Open5 - Quantocks - 8th January 2012
- Open5 - Bacup - 3rd December 2011
- Open5 - Staveley - 2nd October 2011
- Open5 - Grizedale Forest - 3rd April 2011
- Open5 - Bakewell - 6th March 2011
- Open5 - Kirkby Stephen - 6th February 2011
- Open5 - Sutton Bank - 9th January 2011
- Open5 - Slaidburn - 7th November 2010
- Open5 - North Wales - 5th April 2010
- Open5 - Yorkshire Dales - 7th March 2010
- Open5 - South Pennines - 7th February 2010
- Open5 - Peak District - 6th December 2009
- Open5 - Lake District - 1st November 2009
- Open5 - Hope, Peak District - 5th April 2009
- Open5 - Malham, Yorkshire Dales - 1st March 2009
- Open5 - Stokesley, York Moors - 1st February 2009
- Open5 - Staveley, Lake District - 7th December 2008
- Open5 - Broughton in Furness, Lake District - 18th May 2008
- Open5 - Pateley Bridge, Yorkshire Dales - 9th March 2008
- Open5 - Dalby Forest, North York Moors - 27th January 2008
- Open5 - Coniston, South Lakes - 25th November 2007
- Open5 - Grassington, Yorkshire Dales - 30th September 2007
- Open5 - Keswich, North Lakes - 13th May 2007
- Open5 - Sutton Bank, Yorkshire Dales - 11th March 2007
- Open5 - Hebden Bridge, South Pennines - 21st January 2007
- Open5 - Swaledale, Northern Yorkshire Dales - 26th November 2006
- Open5 - Malham, Southern Yorkshire Dales - 1st October 2006
- Open5 - Broughton in Furness, South Lakes - 14th May 2006
- Open5 - Hamsterley Forest, North Pennines - 12th March 2006
- Open5 - Hebden Bridge, South Pennines - 22nd January 2006
- Open5 - Rydal Hall, Central Lakes - 4th December 2005
- Open5 - Blanchland, North Pennines - 16th October 2005
- Open5 - Bowness, South Lakes - 22nd May 2005
- Open5+ - Anglesey - 21st May 2011
- Open5+ - Coniston, South Lakes - 15th May 2010
- Open5+ - Kewsick, Lake District - 16th May 2009
- Open12 - Pickering - 25/26th June 2011
- Open12 - Yorkshire Dales - 26/27th June 2010
- Open12 - Peak District - 28/29th June 2008
- Open12 - Yorkshire Dales - 28/29th June 2007
- Open24 - Lake District, 30th/31st July 2011
- Open24 - Wales, 24th/25th July 2010
- Open24 - Up North - 25/26th July 2009
- Open24 - Aberystwyth, Wales - 26/27th - July 2008
- Open24 - Eskdale, Western Lakes - 26/27th - July 2007
- Open24 - Yorkshire Dales - 29/30th July 2006
- Open24 - South Lakes - 30/31st July 2005
- Open Adventure MBR - 6th June 2010
- Mountain Hardwear Photo shoot - 11th/12th May 2010
- Photo shoot for the Open5 Mountain Hardware event postcards - 14th October 2006
- Hawkshead Trail - 27th April 2013
- Cartmel Trail - 16th March 2013
- Sticky Toffee Trail - 15th December 2012
- Coniston Trail - 6th October 2012
- Keswick Trail - 1st September 2012
- Coniston Marathon - 1st July 2012
- Stavely Trail - 26th May 2012
- Cartmel Trail - 17th March 2012
- Ullswater Trail - 6th November 2011
- Helvellyn Trail - 5th November 2011
- Coniston Trail - 11th October 2011
- Coniston Marathon - 3rd July 2011
- Hawkshead Trail - 7th May 2011
- Cartmel Trail - 2nd April 2011
- Coniston Trail - 2nd October 2010
- Stavely Trail - 5th June 2010
- Hawkshead Trail - 24th April 2010
- Coniston Trail - 2nd October 2009
- Keswick Trail - 6th September 2009
- Garburn Trail - 6th June 2009
- Hawkshead Trail - 18th April 2009
- Ullswater Trail - 2nd November 2008
- Helvellyn Trail - 1st November 2008
- Garburn Trail - 31st May 2008
- Hawkshead Trail - 19th April 2008
- Ullswater Trail (Steamy Surprise) - 3rd November 2007
- Coniston Trail - 6th October 2007
- Derwentwater Trail - 1st September 2007
- Cartmel - Run - 20th March 2010
- Grassmere - Mtb - 28th June 2009
- Cartmel - Run - 21st March 2009
Eventing (Horse Trials):
- Hutton International Horse Trials - 20th June 2010
- Llanymynech BE Horse Trials at Radfords Equestrian - 13th June 2010
- VO2 Max - Public Launch - 26th February 2009
- VO2 Max - ITV Report - 27th May 2008
- VO2 Max - Public Launch - 2nd April 2008
- Wheelbase Big Demo Weekend - 15th March 2009
- Le Tour de Staveley - 12 July 2008
- Sam Houghton Challenge - 7th June 2008
- Tour de Staveley - 14th July 2007
- Rochdale Road Race - 4th July 2007
- Otley Town Centre Road Race - 20th June 2007
- Bike Fest - 12th May 2007
- Wheelbase Kentmere Quest - 7th May 2007
- Shop Shots for What MTB - 1st April 2007
- Wheelbase Big Demo Weekend - 3rd March 2007
- Christmas Eve Ride - 24th December 2006
- 3Peaks Cycle Cross - 24th September 2006
- Tour de Staveley - 8th July 2006
- Wheelstock - 12th June 2004
- Wheelbase Kona Demo - 26th October 2003
Mint Cake MTB:
- Trailquest - New Hutton, Cumbria - 25th February 2007
- Trailquest - Kendal, Cumbria - 1st August 2004
- Trailquest - Staveley - 25th April 2004